Upon a death, the existence of the deceased’s last notarized will must be verified in the Register of Testamentary Dispositions of the Chambre des notaires du Québec.
How can I file a search request for a will?
Please note that you must make two search requests: one to the Chambre des notaires du Québec and the other to the Barreau du Québec. You can also contact the notary of your choice, who will do the search for you.
|Methods of transmitting the application||Cost per certificate||Cost per additional certificate|
|By Internet*||17,25$ taxes included||17,25$ taxes included|
|By mail||23$ taxes included||23$ taxes included|
Choose how you want to make your request
What you need to know before submitting your application online:
- You must attach a scanned PDF or JPEG file of the “Copy of the Act of Death” or “Certificate of Death” that was issued after March 29, 2005 by the Directeur de l’État civil du Québec. If the proof of death was issued before March 29, 2005, follow the procedure below by mail or in person.
The following are not accepted for the online request: the funeral home certificate, the electronic declaration of death, a foreign proof of death or the Coroner’s report of death (otherwise follow the procedure by mail or in person below).
- You cannot apply for a search online if the deceased’s place of birth or union is in New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador. In this case, you will need to follow the mail or in-person procedure below.
- It is possible that your online request will be refused if the deceased’s place of birth or union is outside of Canada or if the name of the city is too long. In this case, you will need to follow the mail or in-person procedure below.
- Fees are payable by Visa or Mastercard only.
- You will receive two emails: one confirming receipt of your application with a reference number and a second within 3 to 4 business days for processing (watch your junk mail).
1Fill out the appropriate search request form:
2Deliver the following documents by mail or in person:
- A duly completed and signed application form for a will search, including information for payment by Visa or Mastercard or a money order payable to the Chambre des notaires du Québec for the amount of the search, including taxes.
- The original as well as a photocopy of the act of death or the death certificate issued by the Directeur de l’état civil. No photocopies are accepted as proof of death.
- If the death occurred outside Quebec: the original as well as a photocopy of the death certificate issued by the competent authority of the province or country where the death occurred;
Note: any original document sent to the Chamber will be returned to you.
Act of death from the Directeur de l’état civil
Death certificate from the Directeur de l’état civil
Send the documents:
- By mail to the following address:
Chambre des notaires du Québec
Registers of Testamentary Dispositions and Mandates
101-2045 Stanley Street
Montréal, QC H3A 2V4
- In person at the reception desk:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday : 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:15am to 12pm and 1pm to 4:30pm
Friday : 9am to 12pm
- Or in person in the lobby on the first floor to the right:
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Drop your request in one of the black boxes located to the right of the reception door provided for this purpose.
101-2045 Stanley Street, Montreal QC H3A 2V4
Methods of payment:
- MasterCard or Visa credit card
- Certified cheque or money order payable to La Chambre des notaires du Québec
- Debit card (payment on site only)
Note: Cash and personal checks are not accepted
Receipt of a search certificate
A search certificate from the Chambre des notaires will be issued to you indicating, if applicable, the last registered will with the contact information of the notary who received the act. Afterwards, you will have to go directly to the notary, where appropriate, to obtain a copy of the will. The Chambre des notaires cannot be held responsible for an error on a certificate when the error is the result of missing or incorrect information on the search request. Please make sure that all the information on your application is accurate.