WARNING : Due to the circumstances of the COVID-19, additional delays are to be expected for search request to the Registers.
Upon a death, the existence of a will of the deceased must be verified in the Register of Testamentary Dispositions of the Chambre des notaires du Québec.
How can I file a search request for a will?
Please note that you must make two search requests: one to the Chambre des notaires du Québec and the other to the Barreau du Québec. You can also contact the notary of your choice, who will do the search for you.
|Methods of transmitting the application||Cost per certificate||Cost per additional certificate|
|By Internet*||17,25$ taxes included||17,25$ taxes included|
|By mail||23$ taxes included||23$ taxes included|
* For online transmission, the search request must be eligible. The Registrar reserves the right to refuse an application received online and to require that the search application be received with the original proof of death by mail.
Choose how you want to make your request
You can now submit a will search request online and attach digital copies of the required documents.
Important: To carry out an online search, the death must have occurred in Quebec and you must have the Death certificate or the Copy of the death act issued by the Director of Civil Status of Quebec. You must pay the fees using a Visa or Mastercard credit card.
1Fill out the appropriate search request form:
2Deliver the following documents by mail or in person:
- A duly completed and signed application form for a will search, including information for payment by Visa or Mastercard or a money order payable to the Chambre des notaires du Québec for the amount of the search, including taxes.
- The original as well as a photocopy of the act of death or the death certificate issued by the Directeur de l’état civil. No photocopies are accepted as proof of death.
- If the death occurred outside Quebec: the original as well as a photocopy of the death certificate issued by the competent authority of the province or country where the death occurred;
Note: any original document sent to the Chamber will be returned to you.
Act of death from the Directeur de l’état civil
Death certificate from the Directeur de l’état civil
Send the documents:
- By mail to the following address:
Chambre des notaires du Québec
Registers of Testamentary Dispositions and Mandates
101-2045 Stanley Street
Montréal, QC H3A 2V4
- In person at the reception desk:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 10:15am to 12pm and 1pm to 4:30pm
- Or in person in the lobby on the first floor to the right:
Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Drop your request in one of the black boxes located to the right of the reception door provided for this purpose.
101-2045 Stanley Street, Montreal QC H3A 2V4
Receipt of a search certificate
A search certificate from the Chambre des notaires will be issued to you indicating, if applicable, the last registered will with the contact information of the notary who received the act. Afterwards, you will have to go directly to the notary, where appropriate, to obtain a copy of the will.