Regular path to the profession
Step 1: Bachelor of Laws
Obtaining a permit and entry on the roll of the Order
After the end of the professional training program, the candidate will be given an attestation of successful completion and will have to undertake certain formalities to accede to the profession, leading to a practice permit and entry on the roll of the Order.
N.B.: These steps may be carried out simultaneously or successively, subject to certain conditions.
Only once a candidate is registered on the roll of the Order can they practise the profession of notary and use the reserved titles (Maître, Me or notary).
For more information:
Another requirement to obtain a permit: appropriate knowledge of the French language :
- Under section 35 of the Charter of the French Language:
- “The professional orders shall not issue permits except to persons whose knowledge of the official language is appropriate to the practice of their profession.
- A person is deemed to have the appropriate knowledge if
- (1) he has received, full time, no less than three years of secondary or post-secondary instruction provided in French;
- (2) he has passed the fourth or fifth year secondary level examinations in French as the first language;
- (3) from and after the school year 1985-86, he obtains a secondary school certificate in Québec.
- In all other cases, a person must obtain a certificate issued by the Office québécois de la langue française or hold a certificate defined as equivalent by regulation of the Government.
- The Government, by regulation, may determine the procedures and conditions of issue of certificates by the Office, establish the rules governing composition of an examining committee to be formed by the Office, provide for the mode of operation of that committee, and determine criteria for evaluating the appropriate knowledge of French for the practice of a profession or a category of professions and a mode of evaluating such knowledge.”
- Applicants who do not meet criteria 1, 2 or 3 will need to pass the test of the Office québécois de la langue française.
Resuming the right to practise
If you are planning to resume your right to practise, please fill out the application form (available in French).
Tariff of fees
Consult the 2021-2022 tariff of fees, which prescribes the administrative costs for the requests sent to the Order by the members or the candidates of the profession as well as the other expenses charged by the Chambre des notaires for products and services.